Preparing to Sell Your Home
Here are few quick tips to help prepare your house to before it goes on the market. Follow these simple steps and make a great impression on potential buyers to help cinch the deal.
- Eliminate odors – use air fresheners in rooms, deep-clean odor stains from animals, children, etc.
- Replace and/or clean A/C filters and vents
- Paint walls, ceilings, sides, doors, etc. to cover chipping
- Dust window ledges and clean windows – in and out
- Go through house and garage to purge unused items
- Clean and wipe down all stained woodwork including doors and cabinets
- Get carpets cleaned if they are stained or old
- Start packing small items that clutter up the house
- Keep all surfaces clean and clear – two items or less on each
- Remove all clutter from the front of the refrigerator
- Make sure trash is not overflowing – store inside pantry, closet or under sink
- Sweep and clean floors on a regular basis
- Wash and put away dishes in the sink before all showings
- Don’t overdo it on furniture – keep the nicer pieces out and store the rest
- Float furniture away from walls; it will make the room appear bigger
- Store away personal photos, magazines, books, etc that make the room look cluttered
- Patch and paint nail holes
- Allow as much natural light to shine through as possible
- Add lamps to rooms that are dimly lit
- Clean fireplace and clean mantle of clutter
- Keep each room simply furnished
- Make sure clothes are hung up, not laying on furniture
- Try to eliminate as many personal photos, posters, etc. as possible from walls
- Make beds
- No more than two items on nightstand, dresser, desk, etc.
- Scrub toilets, showers, sinks, tubs until they shine
- Clean floors of water, hair, dirt, etc.
- Clear shower of unused/unnecessary bath items
- Clean counters and keep to 2 items or less
- Organize linen closets to look neat
Lighting and Scent
- Dust and wash all light fixtures and fans
- Replace light bulbs and upgrade wattage where you can
- Open windows and turn on lights for showings
- Use a vanilla or baked-goods scent (chocolate chip cookies, cake batter, cinnamon, etc.)
- Sweep out garage and around all patios, decks, etc.
- Make sure front porch/door are clear of cobwebs and clean of dirt
- Paint trim where chipped
- Doorbell working?
- Replace broken or damaged roof shingles
- Organize garage – put away tools, stack boxes, organize work space
- Mow lawn, trim bushes, remove weeds
- Make sure gardens look nice
- Store away hoses, children’s toys, animal toys, etc.
First Impressions Are Everything – You Get One Shot to Make it Great!